Saturday, August 24, 2019

Fort Wayne, Indiana Restaurants (Dash-In, Cindy's Diner, The Hoppy Gnome, Proximo, True Kimchi, J K O'Donnell's, and The Famous Taco)

I spent a few days in Ft. Wayne, Indiana. Food was eaten there. This blog post is some of that food. The first food I had in the city was at the Ft. Wayne Airport. There was a TSA agent handing out chocolate chip cookies as I left the secure area of the airport. My Uber driver was telling me about how the airport cookies are somewhat controversial in the city. There is apparently somewhat of an obesity issue in Ft. Wayne and people say the airport shouldn't be contributing to this. Regardless, free cookie!


Dash-In:

This was my first actual meal in Ft. Wayne. I asked around for restaurant recommendations and was told to visit Dash-In.
I ordered the Pesto Deluxe Grilled Cheese. This sandwich was filled with cheddar, swiss, provolone, muenster, artichoke hearts, tomato slices, and pesto. I had a cup of Tomato Bisque as my side. The sandwich was good, with one major exception. The cheese wasn't melted in the center of the sandwich. Melted cheese is the whole point of a grilled cheese...

Cindy's Diner:

Breakfast the next morning happened at Cindy's Diner. This was a tiny building that was a very stereotypical diner. They only had counter seating and a few outdoor tables. It was very busy.
I had French toast, eggs, and bacon. It was exactly how I would have expected the meal.


The Hoppy Gnome:

This was another restaurant that was recommended to me. It was half restaurant and half brewery.
I had three tacos here. I sampled the Duck Confit, Korean Short Rib, and Chili Glazed Shrimp tacos. The shrimp taco had the most flavor in its sauce, but didn't have much else going on besides the breaded shrimp. The Korean short rib seemed to be lacking in the sauce and was very dry but had interesting taco toppings. The duck confit was a bit boring and bland tasting.


Proximo:

I had breakfast at a restaurant called Proximo. I ordered something called the Garbage Skillet, which seems to be an Indiana breakfast item because I saw similar garbage themed items on other breakfast menus in Ft. Wayne. This was potatoes with bacon, peppers, and onions, topped with gravy and eggs. It was good, although I found the gravy to be a bit too salty (and I like salty food!).


True Kimchi:

This was a booth selling Korean food at the Ft. Wayne Farmer's Market. 
I had the bibimbap. It was rice topped with all sorts of pickled vegetables and a fried egg. I enjoyed it!



J K O'Donnell's:

This was an Irish pub in downtown Ft. Wayne. Apparently there are more than one Irish restaurants in downtown and this is supposed to be the good one.

I had a cup of potato leek soup.
I also had a plate of curry and chips topped with chicken. I received more than I was expecting with all sorts of good vegetables in the curry, including broccoli, squash, and cauliflower. This was all in a delicious curry sauce which soaked into the fries underneath.


The Famous Taco:

My last meal in Fort Wayne was at a restaurant called The Famous Taco.
I had three tacos. I tried the chorizo, pastor, and carnitas in the corn tortillas. The tacos were served alongside white and yellow rice and refried beans.

No comments:

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs