Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Sicilian Pizza from Dalli's in Lake Mary

I had a strange craving for Sicilian Pizza. I normally don't like Sicilian pizza all that much, and it seems I'm almost always disappointed with Sicilians whenever I get them. It had been years since I ate a Sicilian pizza, and I don't think I've ever eaten one in Florida (as I was looking through my pizza menus of local restaurants, it seemed most places don't even make Sicilian). To prove to myself that I still don't like Sicilian pizza, I ordered a pie from Dalli's pizza in Lake Mary, FL.

I picked up the half cheese/half meatball pizza and took it home. I ate the cheese slices, and it wasn't too bad. I would take a traditional slice of pizza from Dalli's over a Sicilian slice, but it was still acceptable. I think my problem with Sicilian pizzas is that there is too much of everything. There is way too much of the chewy crust, and because of all of the crust, there's more sauce and cheese than you get on a normal pizza. It all seems like a bit of overkill in my opinion, and I'd much rather have a traditional thin slice of pizza where there isn't huge amounts of all of the pizza components.
Dalli's Sicilian Pizza
Dalli's Sicilian Slice
Sicilian pizza was better than I remembered, but I think I'll stick with traditional pizza until I get another Sicilian craving, whenever that will be. One last observation I had was that while normal pizza tastes good cold out of the refrigerator the next day, Sicilian pizza tastes horrible like this. I couldn't eat the leftovers cold and had to heat it up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok I am Italian and here it is: in Italy sicilian pizza does not exist. Pizza is from Naples, every other place that claims to make the real pizza is not telling the truth.
Also if you come to Italy, specially in Sicily, and say that they claim to make "Sicilian pizza" they will probably have a stroke.
Also real italian pizza is nothing like that, I would invite you here to try the real thing.
Cheers :)

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs