Friday, August 31, 2018

New England Food (CT, VT, NH, ME, and RI)

During the same trip up north where I visited Springfield, I also ventured up to several New England states that I had never been to or had spent very little time in. This included Connecticut, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, and Rhode Island. We'll start out in Connecticut:

Jumbo Buffet (Bloomford, CT):

A friend decided that he wanted a Chinese buffet for lunch. Buffets aren't really a thing in this area like they are in Florida. The only one that was listed nearby was called Jumbo Buffet. It turned out to be a standard Chinese takeout storefront with a buffet table in the middle of the restaurant. It didn't look very appetizing to me, so I ordered fresh food off the menu. I started with a scallion pancake appetizer, mostly because these are hard to find back home.
I had the Hunan Chicken combo for the dinner. Served with fried rice and an egg roll.



The Gables Inn (Stowe, VT):

Moving on to Vermont, my first meal was breakfast in Stowe. The place I stayed overnight recommended The Gables Inn for breakfast, which was another hotel down the road. It was basically someone's house where they added a few rooms behind their home and served breakfast on their porch.
I ordered the Vermont Breakfast. This came with pancakes, local maple syrup, a slice of ham, and two poached eggs.

Ben & Jerry's Factory Tour (Waterbury, VT):


Up next for food in Vermont was the Ben & Jerry's Factory Tour.
Pretty nifty tour, although no pictures were allowed of the actual factory floor. Here's the sample of ice cream they gave at the end of the tour.


Gaku Ramen (Burlington, VT):


I tried the Black Garlic Tonkotsu Ramen here. It was noodles, pork, mushrooms, scallions, bamboo shoots, with a soft boiled egg in a pork based broth. It was a pretty substantial bowl of ramen.



Boston Brothers Pizzeria (Conway, NH):


My one and only meal ever in New Hampshire. I stopped in Conway for lunch and ended up at Boston Brothers Pizzeria. The cheese slice was large and affordable. My initial choice was one of their specialty pizzas, which they were out of.


Portland Lobster Company (Portland, ME):


Moving on to Maine. While in Portland, I had the stereotypical food for the state. I had to get some Maine lobster. I ate at Portland Lobster Company and ordered a lobster roll. It was served with fries and coleslaw. The location was really nice on the water. Lobster is the most overhyped seafood there is in my opinion...


Gorgeous Gelato (Portland, ME):


Got some lemon gelato in a waffle cone from a place called Gorgeous Gelato.

The Holy Donut (Portland, ME):

Potato doughnuts are a thing. I stopped into The Holy Donut in Portland where they advertised that their doughnuts were made with mashed potatoes. I tried their Maple Bacon Donut. The consistency was different from a typical, non-potato doughnut. The inside was slightly denser and was really moist. I liked it. The maple glaze and the salty bacon balanced itself nicely. Definitely ranks as one of the best doughnuts I've had...



Tom's BaoBao (Providence, RI):


Moving on to Rhode Island. My tour of states I hadn't been to was running short on time, so my only adventure in this state was stopping in Providence for dinner. This city looked like it had seen better days and most restaurants were closed, but I did find a place open called Tom's BaoBao. I started with a pork bao.
They also had hand pulled noodles. Topped with cucumber slices, scallions, and chili powder. The noodles were really good and shadowed the bao.







And that's my food tour of Connecticut, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, and Rhode Island. It was a tasty food adventure!

No comments:

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs