Monday, February 22, 2010

Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn and Cafe at Magic Kingdom

I used to think the food from Disney was pretty awesome compared to most other theme park food. On my latest visit to the Magic Kingdom, I realized that this has changed somewhat. It had been a few years since my last visit to the park and the fast food dining options have definitely shrunk. There were some places serving more interesting food (like the Asian noodle place in Tomorrowland or the Mexican in Adventureland), but they were all closed on the day I visited. Out of the open dining options, restaurants that I remember having having interesting menus (Cosmic Rays) seem to have expanded their burger selection and eliminated many of their other foods.

I decided to have dinner at Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn and Cafe in Frontierland. Again, mostly burgers but I decided to go with a salad. It wasn't quite what I was expecting...

I'm all for salad bars. Salad bars can be good, that is if you know you're getting a salad bar. When I ordered at Taco Salad at Pecos Bill's, I did not realize I was getting a pretty lousy salad bar. After ordering, they handed a fried tortilla bowl filled with some ground beef and a sour cream packet. The lack of vegetables in the salad left me somewhat confused, but then was directed to the restaurant's topping bar. With some lettuce, cheese, banana peppers, sauteed onions, and pickles, I filled my tostada bowl.

While I did make my salad tasty, it was definitely not what I was expecting. For $8.50, I was thought I'd be getting more than a tiny bit of meat in a tortilla. I really was expecting a ready made salad, with the main salad components already in place. I would not consider a hamburger topping bar to be a good salad bar either.

At least the food at Epcot is still awesome. Lets hope it stays that way...

Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn and Cafe on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

AJ said...

Wow. I had no idea that was the case with the taco salads. Seems hard to justify charging $8 for a taco salad when half of the ingredients are free over on the fixings bar? Shocking.

Lou Mongello - WDWRadio.com said...

Interesting. This seems to be something fairly recent, as I don't recall them ever using the toppings bar as the Taco Salad filler. Wonder if it's the same over at El Pirata (when it's open). Time to do some investigating (Lou's excuse to eat. LOL)

Unknown said...

For the exact reason you didn't like it, I loved the "Taco Salad." I'm a little picky where I love some ingredients, but not others (I like some salsa, but I hate a LOT of salsa for example.) To be able to customize my meal was a big plus for me.

Unknown said...

While I do like the idea of customizing my own salad, I'm also with AJ in that it seems a little pricey when most of the ingredients are offered for free to all guests dining there anyway!

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs