Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Downtown Disney's Planet Hollywood

Planet Hollywood
I ate at Planet Hollywood in Downtown Disney on January 30, 2008. The restaurant at Walt Disney World is the biggest Planet Hollywood that I've seen. Compared to the Planet Hollywood in Myrtle Beach, this restaurant is humongous. The whole restaurant is housed inside of a giant 5-floored globe filled with tables and lots of movie props. Not only is this Planet Hollywood larger than Myrtle Beach's restaurant, it also has a larger menu, and everything costs a few dollars more.

My meal was started with an appetizer of Chicken Crunch. It was basically fried chicken strips dipped into a sweet batter. Sweet and chicken don't go together in my opinion.
World Famous Chicken Crunch
For the main course, I had the Garlic Shrimp. This consisted of soba noodles topped with shrimp, sugar snap peas, onions, peppers, garlic, and ginger in a slightly spicy sauce. I liked it, but at a price of $19.99, I didn't feel it was the best value for the food given. A few hours after I ate the meal was a problem though. Something in the Garlic Shrimp caused me to repeatedly burp out a horrible smell that reminded me of salami, meatballs, and Pepsi, all combined into one foul smelling gas. Beware...
Garlic Shrimp
Garlic Shrimp
After eating, I took the steps down from my 5th floor table and looked at some of the movie props. Before heading downstairs, this was my view from where I sat:
View from the 4th Floor
And here are some of the movie props I took pictures of. Here's a witch from Hocus Pocus:
Stone Witch from Hocus Pocus
Woody from Toy Story:
Woody
A giant moth from the original Dr. Dolittle:
Dr. Doolittle
A robot from some science fiction movie that I don't recognize:
Robot
One of the buildings from The Nightmare Before Christmas. Much of the sets and puppets from this movie used to be on display at MGM Studios. Rumor is that when Disney decided to update their exhibit, a few of their minimum wage employees got very lucky when they found a slew of Jack Skeleton puppets and most of Halloweentown in a dumpster somewhere on Disney property. Imagine what that stuff would go for on ebay...
Nightmare Before Christmas
And then there was this saw blade from a David Copperfield TV Special:
David Copperfield's Sawblade

And finally, in the pond outside of Planet Hollywood was The Jenny from Forrest Gump:
The Jenny from Forest Gump
Planet Hollywood on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had the same meal when I visited Planet Hollywood in the evening of August 2, 2008. I always though that the average cost of meals were more expensive compared to the off-site properties, but the meal overall was sub-par compared to other establishment throughout WDW. I also has a creamscicle type of beverage with a slight hint of alcohol without any dessert.

NinjaLlama said...

The robot is from Luc Besson's "The Fifth Element" starring Milla Jovovich and Bruce Willis. It's one of my favorite movies.

Anonymous said...

I had a chance to eat there a few years back. The movie props were interesting, but when I went the service was a bit slow and the place was very noisy. But that is the type of place it is - you get what you would expect.

Anonymous said...

Hi... just happen to cross your site...

Im planning to go to Tokyo or Hong Kong Disney this Christmas. Hoho and I found some stuffs from Hong Kong Disneyland here as well:
disneycloth.cwahi.net

I will definitely take tones of photos there!!!

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs