Monday, September 16, 2013

Maine Avenue Fish Market in Washington DC

I remembered reading about the Maine Avenue Fish Market sometime in the past. While visiting Washington DC, I decided I should visit this place. The Maine Avenue Fish Market is the oldest seafood market in the country and consists of several floating barges filled with all sorts of seafood docked around a wharf. The floating seafood market setup was way cool and the place had a very unique feel.
I couldn't quite figure out if all of the barges here had the same owners or not. Captain White's seemed to be one of the big vendors here, but there were other names on the barges as well. Some barges only sold fresh fish for you to buy and cook at home, while others had pre-cooked seafood, and yet others cooked your food on the spot.
I went with a barge that cooked the seafood. Crabs seemed like the thing to get here. I went with a half dozen blue crabs. This seemed like a good deal for $7, plus the whole process of eating the crabs in a fish market was quite the experience.
The live crabs were hand picked, sprinkled with seasoning, and dropped into a steamer.
After about fifteen minutes, the crabs were cooked. They were placed in a paper bag and were ready to eat.
Besides my crabs, I also got a bowl of clam chowder here. The creamy soup was tasty with lots of pieces of clam and big chunks of potato.
To eat the crabs, there was a small dining area by the water. There were no seats. Everyone stood around counters smashing their crabs open with mallets and devouring the very fresh, sweet crab meat.
I very much enjoyed my visit to the Maine Avenue Fish Market. I suppose if you don't like seafood, this place wouldn't be for you, but why would you be going to a fish market in the first place? The whole setup of buying seafood from barges floating in the river was something that I've never seen before and was a fun experience.
It looks like Anthony Bourdain did a segment on the Maine Avenue Fish Market on an episode of No Reservations.



Captain White's Seafood City on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi, thanks for the post. Do you recall the name of the vendor that cooks the crabs on the spot? when I went to the Wharf I only saw fresh fish and seafood to go. cheers

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs