Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Zatarain's House of Blues Gospel Brunch in Orlando, FL

HOB Water Tower
The House of Blues Gospel Brunch takes place every Sunday morning in Downtown Disney. It's something I had never seen in my years of living in Central Florida, but when I was invited to try the new Zatarain's sponsored Jambalaya Bar at the brunch, I figured it was time to give the Gospel Brunch a try!
HOB Entrance
It was strange seeing the House of Blues filled with large round tables instead of concert goers...
HOB Floor
The Zatarain's Jambalaya Station was the first thing that greeted everyone near the entrance of the House of Blues. Here, a chef prepared freshly made jambalaya from whatever ingredients you selected. The Zatarain's sponsored food are offered for a limited time in October and November, so hurry in if you're after the jambalaya.
Zatarain's Jambalaya Station
Jambalaya Chef
Jambalaya Toppings
Jambalaya Cooking
Several other buffet tables were also set up. There was a salad bar with several different types of salads. The breakfast bar had a nice selection of typical southern breakfast items, including eggs, waffles, biscuits & gravy, grits, meats, and pastries. The lunch bar featured foods like fried catfish, rice & beans, macaroni & cheese, collards, and chicken. Nearby was a carving station providing freshly sliced meats, and the dessert bar can't be forgotten either.
Gospel Brunch Salads & Fruits
Breakfast Bar
Southern Foods
At the far side of the House of Blues, there was also an Omelet station providing custom made omelets.
Gospel Brunch Omelet Station
After checking out the food choices, it was time to eat! I started with with the jambalaya, catfish, and cornbread. In my jambalaya, I choose crawfish, shrimp, andouille sausage, as well as all of the vegetarian toppings. I really enjoyed the jambalaya, especially with good Cajun food being a rare find in Orlando. The cornbread was also really good. It was really moist with great flavor!
Jambalaya, Catfish, & Cornbread
I didn't get a chance to try the omelets, but that didn't stop me from snapping a picture of one...
Mickey's Omelet
Next came a plate of salad and breakfast items. One of the salads was Caesar and the other was a mixed green salad with crumbled blue cheese. For the breakfast, I tried scrambled eggs, sausage, home fries, cheese grits, and a biscuit. The standouts here were the cheese grits and the biscuit.
Breakfast/Salad
A visit to the lunch buffet table came next. I had red beans & rice, collard greens, macaroni & cheese, roasted chicken, and some more of the awesome cornbread. I liked everything here with the exception of the macaroni. It was very dry in my opinion.
Southern Food
Finally, I picked up a plate of bread pudding, key lime pie, apple cobbler, and a brownie for dessert.
Gospel Brunch Dessert Plate
After forty-five minutes of eating, the show started. Apostle J.L.Cash came out and did a good show for another forty-five minutes. There were many mentions of Jesus, god, and similar topics. These are not musical themes I normally seek out, but this was expected in a Gospel Brunch. Much of the audience was getting really into the show with lots of dancing and crowd participation, so I suppose the show was a success!
Apostle J.L. Cash
I enjoyed the House of Blues Gospel Brunch. The food was really good and was definitely on par with the nearby breakfast buffets elsewhere on Disney property. Getting the show along with the food was an added bonus!

No comments:

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs