Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Umbertos in Deerfield Beach

Umbertos
I'm a big fan of the various Umberto's Pizza up in New York (although my last visit was disappointing). About a year ago, I was driving through Deerfield Beach, FL and spotted a place called Umberto's of Long Island. I really wanted to give the place a try based on the name alone, but I had already eaten for the night. Fast forward a bit, and I am in Deerfield Beach once again, and this time I know exactly where I was going to get food.
Umbertos
I stopped by the restaurant and the initial feeling wasn't the same as a visit to one of the actual Umberto's Pizzas in Long Island. No one was speaking Italian. There wasn't a huge selection of pizza choices either. The choices consisted of the standard pie or Grandma pizza. I ordered a slice of cheese pizza, and it turned out I got the last slice. My dining companion also wanted a plain slice, but the options were to wait for a new pie to be made or make another selection. We didn't have much time left in the parking meter, so a slice of pepperoni was selected.
Umbertos
Umbertos
After being reheated, we received our slices and ate them as we walked back towards the car. My cheese slice wasn't as attractive as I would have liked (too many collapsed bubbles in the center of the slice), nor did it compare to a slice of pizza from an Umberto's up north. It tasted acceptable, but not exceptional. The same was said about the pepperoni slice. It was good, but nothing great. The pizza definitely wouldn't be worth making another special trip to get, but if at the beach, I could see myself getting another slice. The one thing that the Long Island Umberto's can't compete with is being able to cross the street to eat pizza on the beach...
Umbertos

Umberto's of Long Island on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

Loretta said...

The pizza looks great.. made me want to order one..I am a member of the bizymoms Deerfield-beach community. You should consider networking with them & feature this article on their page

Unknown said...

I am an avid pizza eaterand lover for over 51= years. Umbertos on the beach is indeed the best pizza that I have ever tasted. Run and get a slice (or two) I promise you will not be dissapointed. The heavy saporito pizza sauce with the fresh gaahlic and basil is to die for along with the fresh basil leaves that are under yes under the cheese.

Give it a try.
Neal

Unknown said...

I am an avid pizza eaterand lover for over 51= years. Umbertos on the beach is indeed the best pizza that I have ever tasted. Run and get a slice (or two) I promise you will not be dissapointed. The heavy saporito pizza sauce with the fresh gaahlic and basil is to die for along with the fresh basil leaves that are under yes under the cheese.

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs