Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Traditional Xinjiang Barbeque Cart in Flushing, NY

I've been to several Chinatowns around the United States but the one that was most unexpected was in Flushing, NY. Possibly because it's overshadowed by Manhattan's more famous Chinatown, or maybe because the Chinatown in Flushing is relatively new in the big scheme of things. Flushing's Chinatown was the largest of any other Chinatown I've visited and also felt the most immersive. It felt like I really could have been in some exotic Asian location while walking through the streets. After eating at Joe's Shanghai for some soup dumplings, I came across some street food vendors to really make the experience feel like an episode of one of Anthony Bourdain's shows...
The cart called Traditional Xinjiang Barbecue had the biggest crowd. This small, open air cart sold nothing but meat on sticks.
Everything on the menu was really cheap with most skewers costing $1. Some of the stuff was pretty exotic too. Most places don't serve chicken kidney or lamb tendon on a stick.
I ordered the most expensive thing on the menu and got a quail on a stick. Soon enough, it was on the grill and I was being asked if I want the quail spicy. Of course...
Soon enough, my quail was done cooking. I received the whole bird, cut in half and put onto two skewers.
The delicate little bird was really tasty. The outer skin was crispy while the meat inside was nice and moist. There was a nice amount of spice, but nothing overpowering. My conclusion: Quail from street vendors is delicious...


Xinjiang BBQ Cart on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

TastyChomps.com Orlando Food Blog said...

om nom nom. did you know xinjiang is a predominantly muslim region of china? close to afghanistan

Watch Me Eat said...

I knew Xinjiang was the western-most part of China. I didn't know about the demographics, but it makes sense given the location...

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs